To the say the least I’m finding SugarCRM to be a peculiar beast.
Recently I had to resolve an issue where no matter what I did in Studio the Accounts module would not update to my customizations.
Hopefully this will save both me and someone else some stress in the future.
I used the command line approach on my localhost LAMP stack and it appears to have resolved any issues.
$ cd /var/www/html/sugar
$ chmod 664 config.php
$ chmod -R 775 cache custom data modules
I find the quagmire of SugarCRM Documentation to be about as clear as a very muddy lake that someone just threw oil into so I hope it saves you some time.
I also stumbled across these resources during my tribulations:
There is another post by John Mertic on the SugarCRM Developer Blog A newbies guide to getting your SugarCRM instance’s permissions right although you’re probably better off going to the original post How to easily set permissions – for newbies